Thursday, September 14, 2006

I Am Proudly One Of The "24%'s Here! Kind Of Like 24kt Gold

While Las Vegas and the State of Nevada are known for their beautiful resort destinations, there is an undercurrent of shame here. And, it is all about education. While growth in the Clark County School District has been tremendous in terms of student load, there is a perpetual lack of qualified teachers. Why? Could it be the LOW starting salary? And, then again it could be the WEAK teacher's union? And, then finally could it be that the prospective applicants KNOW all about how the student test scores are abysmally low? There is absolutely no prestige in teaching in a school district marked by low student test scores. Maybe it is because most of the parents here were LUCKY to graduate from High School and put little value in ANY kind of education.
According to the latest statistics, ONLY 24% of the adult population here hold college degrees. This is my B.A. from California State University, Fullerton where I went to school with Kevin Costner. I was a senior when he was a freshman. I befriended this younger student because we were both interested in film history. Neither of us knew at the time that he would become a world-famous actor, director, and producer. "Dances with Wolves" was truly a masterpiece. Some of his other films are so-so, and he knows it. I liked his work in "JFK" very much. Expect more blockbusters from him in the years ahead. This guy has talent that even he doesn't yet realize. Oh, and he actually graduated with a B.A. in business too. That wasn't "show business," either.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tom Goodwin, G.G. said...

Actually, I joined the "minority" years ago as I am the only member of my surviving family to obtain anything like a university degree. All of my cousins went into the military or workforce after high school graduation. Then, they became blue collar tradespeople. I love them all! Well, mostly.

02:02  

Post a Comment

<< Home